A 12-week virtual documentary filmmaking workshop, led by Gail Prensky, for emerging filmmakers in Juba, South Sudan. Each participants' films will be entered for the Juba Film Festival in December 2021.
Week 1: PRE-PRODUCTION
Develop production plan: Think about all of the elements/assets that are needed to take you through post production to a final cut.
- Contact Sheet
- Work out your shot list
- Schedule: Working backwards, develop schedule that includes assignments, dates, locations
- What do you need for equipment
- Releases/Permission: film and use footage (personal release/location) *if required
Week 1, with Phil Dimon from the US Embassy in Juba
Weeks 2-4: PRODUCTION
- Create CALL SHEETS for each film shoot to send to your crew.
- Live action: SHOOT interviews, b-roll
- Art/Still shots: CREATE/SELECT artwork and shoot/organize still photos.Obtain necessary permissions for usage that you do not own
- MANAGE ASSETS: Develop process for managing assets to deliver to post production
Weeks 5-6: POST-PRODUCTION
- Select sound bites
- string out selections in Edit software.
Weeks 7-9: POST-PRODUCTION
- Select and lay in in b-roll to cover to cover bites
- Type Captioning
Weeks 10-11: POST-PRODUCTION
- Audio: Record Narration, music tracks, sound
- Clean sound and balance audio levels
- Color correction
- Review versions of edit:
- Review beta. (Allow time for all reviews and corrections)
- Fine cut. (Allow time for all reviews and corrections—there should be few changes at this stage)
- Master/Final cut.
Organize and store all assets.
Present video to workshop group!